We have tried many different wheat-free pizza recipes. This one is the best and most consistent so far. It’s so easy to follow that even our young kids can make the pizza mostly by themselves! All the ingredients are nut-free and grain-free, and tapioca makes the pizza particularly delicious and chewy. The recipe makes for a large pizza that serves about 6 people.
- 1 cup tapioca flour (starch)
- 1/3 cup + 2-3 tablespoons coconut flour, separated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Combine the tapioca flour, salt and 1/3 cup coconut flour in a medium bowl. Mix well. I always use a food processor as it makes everything really easy to mix.
- Pour in oil and warm water and stir. Add the whisked egg and continue mixing until well combined.
- Add two-three more tablespoons of coconut flour – one tablespoon at a time – until the mixture is a soft but somewhat sticky dough. I end up using all 3 tablespoons. To control how soft the dough is you can add a tad less water/oil to make it less soft and easier to manage. I use a spatula to scrape the dough out of the food processor.
- Turn out the dough onto a surface sprinkled with tapioca flour and knead it gently until it is in a manageable ball that does not stick to your hands. Keep adding tapioca to the sheet until the dough does not stick when kneaded.
- Place the pizza dough ball onto a sheet of parchment paper and cover it with another sheet of parchment paper (or use a rolling pin sprinkled with tapioca). Roll the dough very thin between 2 pieces of parchment paper with a rolling pin. Then remove the top sheet.
- Place rolled-out dough (still on parchment paper) into preheated oven onto a hot pizza stone or a sheet pan.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
Take the crust out and add tomato sauce and toppings. We like to use Pomi Tomato Sauce. For cheese, we use mozzarella and pepper jack cheeses. Pepper jack adds nice spicy taste. We tried different mozzarella kinds and found that 365 Low-Moisture Part-Skim Mozzarella from Whole Foods works best because it melts well and does not burn. The pepper jack cheese that we use is also 365 brand.
Add the toppings, starting with cheese, followed by mushrooms, then olives and/or chicken. Put the pizza back in the oven and bake at 450F between 15 and 25 minutes depending on how many toppings you have (more toppings – longer bake). The pizza is done when the cheese turns golden brown.
Experiment and make a small batch of your pizza first. Enjoy!